Wednesday 5 November 2008

Dreams do come true




Well, he did it. I still can't quite believe it. A black man has made it to the White House. I do hope Martin Luther King is smiling (wherever he is). A very, very happy day - I'm sure I could hear a collective release of breath around the world this morning.
I come from a very politically aware family, so I've always been aware of elections and political issues. However, this is the first time that I can remember following a US presidential election so closely, and right from the start. Mr A has been the same - if not worse! It's been amazing to watch, holding my breath and hoping, just hoping so hard, that this amazing thing would actually happen.

We had both spoken of staying up to watch the results come in, but in the end, I didn't make it past midnight (only the 1st two states had come in by then). Mr A got up to sort out the little one at about 4am and checked the internet - so the first thing he said to me when I woke up this morning was 'Obama's in the White House' - wonderful, wonderful news!
And what a speech! Oh my - I had to watch the whole thing on the net. That man has a serious way with words. And McCain was truly graceful in his defeat as well. Disappointing as usual were Mssrs Bush and Brown who seemed to be just coming out with stock comments and blah......why am I not surprised?

There have been a few times when I've felt that I've been witnessing history being made - the fall of the Berlin Wall was the first, then there was the first Gulf War (and the not so historic arrival of CNN!), and of course, 9/11. Some were occasions for hope, some for fear and a dread that mankind just won't learn from past lessons. Today was one of those hopeful times - I really do hope Barack Obama gets the chance to bring about solid, long-lasting change that the US so badly needs. I even found myself telling Little Miss A at 7am this morning that it was a historic day (she, of course, was more interested in the whereabouts of her teddy!)

Well done Mr Obama - I for one think you'll make a great President.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin